New Year’s Resolution or New Year’s Solution?
Yes! 2019 is here, a new year we all have been looking forward to. Its the season of New Year’s Resolution. The interesting fact is that, the year is running really fast already and our best bet is to run with it.
For some its setting new goals and others, its going back to the goals that was set the previous years and achieving them this time.
What does resolution mean, a resolution is a firm decision to do or not to do something while a solution is a means of solving a problem or dealing with a difficult situation. You will agree with me that we’ve all got a problem that needs solution, ignoring it is like not facing reality.
Finding my facts, i research about the history of New year resolution, according to Wikipedia , A New Year’s resolution is a tradition, most common in the Western Hemisphere but also found in the Eastern Hemisphere, in which a person resolves to change an undesired trait or behavior, to accomplish a personal goal or otherwise improve their life.
Some popular resolutions are:
- Promise to donate to charities more often
- Try to become more assertive
- Strive to be more environmentally responsible.
- Improve physical well-being: eat healthy food, lose weight, exercise, more, eat better , drink less alcohol, quit smoking, get rid of old bad habits
- Improve mental well-being: think positive, laugh more often, enjoy life
- Improve finances
- Finance : get out of debt , save money, make small investments
- Improve career: perform better at current job, get a better job, establish own business
- Improve education : improve grades, get a better education, learn something new (such as a foreign language), study often, read more books, improve talents
- Improve self: become more organized, reduce stress , be less grumpy, manage time, be more independent, perhaps watch less television, play fewer sitting-down video games
- Take a trip
- Volunteer to help others, practice life skills, use civic virtue, give to charity, volunteer to work part-time in a charity organization
- Get along better with people, improve social skills, enhance social intelligence
- Make new friends
- Spend quality time with family members
- Settle down, get engaged/get married, have kids
- Pray more, be more spiritual
- Be more involved in sports or different activities
- Spend less time on social media (such as Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Tumblr etc.).
Many of us have been setting new year resolutions every other year, its time to take a deep reflection and ask ourselves these questions, how often have we been faithful with these resolutions? are these goals realistic and personal? some people set goals because their friends or relatives are setting same goals. Life is a personal journey and we are running a different race.
If you have followed through your previous New Year’s resolutions , i think its time to set new ones for 2019 but if you haven’t followed through , i suggest you find New Year solutions to them. Whats the point of setting new goals when all you need is to find solutions to the ones you already have.
This brings me to the topic of discussion, Are you setting New Year’s resolution or New Year’s Solution.
I leave you to answer that.
I have a passion for writing and keen eyes for fashion. You can catch me burying my head in a great book or surfing the internet for new ideas. I am a student in the school of life, still learning, growing and becoming more. Follow me on Instagram and Twitter @Ada1stlady