Amazing Health Benefits Of Ugwu (Pumpkin Leaves)
Today i will be sharing some amazing health benefits of Ugwu (Pumpkin Leaves) you never knew about.
Pumpkin leaves popularly called ‘Ugwu’ in Nigeria, have various species but the one we will be talking about is the commonest one that Nigerians are used to, which is called ‘telfaira occidentalis’. While many people prefer to cook it as a vegetable with all the condiments that help wet the appetite, some just boil and eat it plain like that or blend it into a shake. What ever the case may be, there are guaranteed level of various nutrients with any style.
Iron helps our muscles store and use oxygen, and helps carry oxygen from our lungs to other parts of our bodies as part of hemoglobin. If you’ve ever heard the term “anemia”, this can be caused by iron deficiency. Women and children in particular need a healthy dose of iron consistently, and these leaves help provide that nutrient naturally.
- Prevention of convulsion: The young leaves sliced and mixed with coconut water and salt are stored in a bottle and used for the treatment of convulsion in ethno medicine.
- 2 Lowers cholesterol: leaves has hypolipdemic effect and may be a useful therapy in hypercholestolemia.
- Boost fertility: A particular study showed that pumpkin has the potential to regenerate testicular damage and also increase spermatogenesis.
- It has a liver protecting effects.
- It has antibacterial effects
- The leaves are rich in iron and play a key role in the cure of anaemia, (my mother used to mix the leaf extract with milk)
- They are also noted for lactating properties and are in high demand for nursing mothers. 8.It has an hypoglycaemic (sugar reducing) effect. It is good for diabetics 9. Increases Blood Volume and Boost Immune System 10. The high protein content in leaves of plants such as pumpkin could have supplementary effect for the daily protein requirement of the body.
Adamas Magazine encourages our readers to Eat healthy and Stay healthy.